Jason N.Perkins wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2005, at 4:53 PM, Andrew Walrond wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 06 February 2005 22:34, Jason N.Perkins wrote:
>>

>>> Then I have to wonder if you and the other participants in this thread
>>> shouldn't consider joining a mailing list where this type of content is
>>> topically appropriate and leave this list for discussions specific to
>>> Ruby.
>>>

>> Had a bad day? ;)
>

> Not at all, but given the volume of this list, off-topic threads that
> last for days are becoming an increasing burden. And finding a list
> where that type of content is topically appr. means that those who are
> interested can subscribe to it and those of us that aren't won't have to
> deal with subjects that we're really not interested in as opposed to
> say, Ruby. Which is what I signed up to this list to become better
> informed about.
>
> Out of curiosity, would you crash an AA meetings and discuss Ruby
> development? Just saying.

Your point is taken, but at least this one is marked OT. That automatically
makes it ten times as tolerable (IMO) as an off-topic thread not marked
as such.

On one hand, you're correct that off-topic posts should be kept to a
minimum. On the other hand, if they're marked, they're horrifically
easy to skip over. Unless one is connecting at 300 baud, bandwidth
shouldn't be an issue.

Hal