> Which makes me think that most of Ruby's growth is going to come from
> people leaving Java and PHP, not from (cough) people leaving Python. I
> suppose the success of Rails has already proven that, though.

I'm definitely seeing a ton more people come over from PHP and Java
than from Python or Perl. This is natural, of course, considering that
a lot more web development is happening in PHP and Java, but I also
think it's because the perceived difference is big enough.

Pythonists and Perlers probably doesn't feel that Ruby (on or off
Rails) is sufficiently different from what they're currently doing to
warrant stepping down the expert ladder.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basecamphq.com/   -- Web-based Project Management