On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Andrew Hunt wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:20:58 +0900, Hal E. Fulton
> <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> wrote:

I was at a MS Exchange conference several years ago, and the server team
had the logo, "Eating dogfood and running naked".

The 'running naked' part meant that you set outlook to read email from the
server and not to put it on your local drive...when you depend on MS you
really are exposed.

The eating dogfood was their term for getting into the code...which was
COM with VB and ADO at the time. Hmm.. as I look back (I am programming
only ruby on unix now) VB code was a lot like eating dogfood. Yech.

Jim

 > Not too sure -- it's quoted in "All I Really Need to Know in Business
> I Learned at Microsoft: Insider Strategies for Success" by Julie Bick,
> explaining it as a popular Microsoft philosophy; it's attributed
> in some places to Microsoft's Gorden Bell.
>
> Which makes sense, if anyone could see the analogy between
> "dog food" and "software", it would be Microsoft :-)
>
> /\ndy

Jim Freeze
jim / freeze.org
No comment at this time.