E S wrote:
>>Lett Kent Sibilev <ksibilev / bellsouth.net>
>>Aihe: Re: Benchmark Mono - Ruby
>>
>>Consider this 'tuning':

<snip>

> The kind of magnitude in difference that the OP cited is certainly
> something to worry about, performance-wise. A couple seconds here or
> there in large operations is OK, of course. I'm not going to argue
> against it if someone comes up with a Ruby implementation that runs
> as fast as native C, but in general Ruby's performance is well above
> adequate. If one finds a serious bottleneck, it may first be possible
> to be solved simply by rewriting the Ruby. That failing, dropping
> down to Inline/Ruby2C/C will certainly remove the problem--and the
> two former with relative ease since one doesn't have to actually
> write C.
>
> Here Mr. Sibilev succintly isolated the bit of code that was assessed
> to be a candidate for lower-level implementation for performance
> enhancement and enhanced its performance.

Source code in Mono (as in the Microsoft .Net tool) is first
->Compiled into a byte code (CLI, Common Language Infrastructure),
   --> And CLI code is compiled by JIT (Just in Time Compiler) into
machine code.

So the first run is rather slow, but subsequent calls should hasten.

CLI spesification:
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm

So it's not fair to compare Ruby's runtime against Mono or .Net.

---------------------------
RUBY needs a Parrot !

Parrot will be a "common language runtime" for dynamic languages such as
Ruby, Python and Perl. It will be a competitor to (ecma's)CLI.

Parrot  will probably implement a JIT too.

Parrot project
http://www.parrotcode.org/docs/intro.html

http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-04/parrot_01.html
Page-5 has some explanation why implementing a new 'Parrot' and not
targeting the existing (ecma)CLI and Java VM.

+ Dynamic type systems in Python/Ruby/Perl are too complex for (ecma's)
frigid CLI spec!

But I would like to see some official comparison between PYTHON and
RUBY. Have u seen any?

// moma
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/OpenOffice.html
    http://www.futuredesktop.org/how2burn.html