From: Avi Bryant [mailto:avi / beta4.com]

> Has anyone built Ruby/Gtk on windows?

Yes, I've written a Lapidary test runner using GTK on Windows 2000. It took
me forever to get it to work, though. Between trying to figure out all the
necessary dlls for gtk and trying to get the ruby-gtk extension to properly
compile under cygwin, it was a bit of a nightmare. It is possible though; it
works on my box as I write.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten most of how I did it, although if others had
specific questions, they could certainly ask and I might know the answer.
Also, you could search through the archives, as I think I posted a few
questions along the way.

> I've in general found Gtk far, far
> more pleasant to work with than Tk, and with Glade and Ruby
> thrown into
> the mix it's a dream for rapid prototyping.

Hmmm... I don't know about a dream... but it is OK :-) I guess I'd like
something that was a little more rubified than the OOP-like C code of Gtk.
The extension does an excellent job of wrapping it, but it can only hide so
much. It seems a bit hard to extend, too. OTOH, from what I've seen of Tk,
Gtk is much, much better.

> next time I
> have a windows box handy maybe I'll look into getting that going.

I'd love to hear about any progress you make, and also if you need any help.
I do have a Windows boxen... just not a lot of time or inclination to
spearhead another project at the moment. Plus, it works on my box right now
(knocks on wood), so I'm hesitant to mess with it :-)

Nathaniel

<:((><
| RoleModel Software, Inc. &		| EQUIP VI
| The XP Software Studio(TM)		|