From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju / sympatico.ca>
Subject: [ruby-talk:12778] Re: Library packaging
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:52:50 +0900

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > |Would it be possible to use some sort of jar style packaging - ie distribute
> > |the folder hierarchy as one package - that way relative references should
> > |work. Ruby would need to change to load libraries out of .jar files
> > Intresting.  Let me add it to the ToDo list.
>
> I'll make a more general request.
>
> Offer hooks into the "require" and/or "load" commands to allow any
> packaging system to be plugged in.

If we can design new package format rather than adopting
existing one, we do not need to bother changing interpreter.
Just put few line of decoder (written in Ruby) at the top of the
package file, followed by ctrl-D and encoded binary data.  Ruby
stop parsing at ctrl-D and let the decoder handle the rest of
job.

What Dave was looking for in [ruby-talk:12840] should fit nicely
in this scheme.  (Perhaps, this is his turn to claim his
invention :-)

Regards,
Kenichi Komiya.