In article <c3ddddee26f2919d7f24cf886a6fb45a / lypanov.net>,
Alexander Kellett  <ruby-lists / lypanov.net> wrote:
>On Feb 4, 2005, at 1:15 PM, Phil Tomson wrote:
>> Yeah, Cardinal has been pretty quiet for a while now.  I wish I had
>> more
>> time to work on it.  We actually had a plan to go the other direction
>> from
>> Ruby2C: We wanted to convert RubyC to Ruby so we could automatically
>> convert the built-in classes like array.c, hash.c, etc to Ruby code.
>> If
>> we could do something like that it would be useful for metaruby as
>> well, I
>> suspect.  Basically, we need a C parser in Racc - that's the first step
>> anyway.  There are plenty of C grammars out there, so that shouldn't be
>> too, too hard, but then again...
>
>google pyggy. it includes a ansi c parser.
>modify it to generate ruby eval-able structures
>and load them into ruby. later on port it to ruby,
>i'll help, i'm planning to do so anyways at some
>point.
>
>would you really want to convert the c anyway?
>its a hell of a job and doesn't really provide
>much anyway. the point in a ruby core lib written
>in ruby itself is to have a well coded basis and
>doing it in idiomatic c would thusly seem like
>a much better idea, or am i missing something?
>from the slant of correctness, yes i'd agree its
>a nice aim. but i think it would be such a huge
>investment that you may as well spend the time
>writing testcases and idiomatic ruby...

we need the ruby core libs implemented in ruby (or in Parrot's
IMCC, we wanted to make it so that you could taraget either IMCC or
Ruby, for Cardinal we would first target IMCC).
Perhaps now the aim should be to support the subset of Ruby that Ruby2C
supports so we can go full circle (C -> Ruby -> (Ruby2C) -> C).

Being able to automate the C-> Ruby (or C->IMCC) process would be a big
boon for both Cardinal and metaruby (the ability to keep class
libraries  up-to-date when changes/additions occur would a great help).
But again, it's a big task, perhaps a bit too ambitious.

>> .....ah, but our ambitious plans haven't led to much action,
>> unfortuneatly.
>> I haven't had any time to commit to Cardinal since last summer.
>
>how about the other developers? i thought
>there were a few working on it?

Dunno.  There are others on the list.  I'm not sure what everyone has been
up to.

Check out the cardinal page here:

http://cardinal.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

> maybe i was
>mistaken, seems like a shame. how fast are
>the python / perl6 implementations written
>on top of parrot now?

I'm not sure how far along those are.

Phil