Quoteing akr / m17n.org, on Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 01:25:20PM +0900:
> In article <20050131023128.GB13952 / ensemble.local>,
>   Sam Roberts <sroberts / uniserve.com> writes:
>
> > I don't understand why DNS::Name#== requires both to be absolute if one
> > is.
> >
> > Is this really necessary/useful? It surprises me.
>
> I think it's right behavior.

Why? When are they not the same?

They are equivalent in the DNS, Resolv::DNS#getaddress() would return
the same A record for both.

> > Also, I have a set of comparison operations for Resolv::DNS::Name.
>
> I'm not sure that they are used frequently enough to occupy comparison
> operators.

Name doesn't have any comparison operators, so they occupy empty space.

Do you have another idea on what Name < Name could mean?

I found it necessary to find whether a Name was a sub-domain of another.
How would you recommend to do this, if there is no method?

  lhs.length > rhs.length && lhs.to_a[-rhs.length, rhs.length] == rhs.to_a

is the best I came up with, and its not the kind of thing I would want
to type regularly.

Cheers,
Sam