Michael Neumann <mneumann / ntecs.de> writes:

> [ ... ]
>
> Hm, lets try this:
>
>    ruby -rubygems  -e 'require "wee"; p Wee::Md5IdGenerator'

Result:

  -e:1: uninitialized constant Wee::Md5IdGenerator (NameError)


> and then this:
>
>    ruby -e 'require "wee"; p Wee::Md5IdGenerator'

Result:

  -e:1: uninitialized constant Wee::Md5IdGenerator (NameError)

On a hunch, I decided to go to rubyforge to download the non-gem
wee-0.7.0 tarball.  I installed it, and then here's what happened:

  % ruby -rubygems -e 'require "wee"; p Wee::Md5IdGenerator'
  Wee::Md5IdGenerator
  % ruby -e 'require "wee"; p Wee::Md5IdGenerator'
  Wee::Md5IdGenerator
  % ruby hello-wee.rb  # the program that didn't work before
  [2005-02-03 17:40:47] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1
  [2005-02-03 17:40:47] INFO  ruby 1.9.0 (2005-01-29) [i386-freebsd4.0]
  [2005-02-03 17:40:47] INFO  WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=1842 port=2000
  ... etc. ...

In other words, once I did the non-gem installation, everything started
working fine.

And now, I think I know what the problem was: I had done an old, non-gem
install of wee a while ago (version 0.5.0 or earlier).  Some items
within this non-gem installation were somehow overriding their
counterparts in the newer gem installation of version 0.7.0.

It appears that gem and non-gem installations don't coexist very well
yet.  Methinks it's better to use one or the other, but not both ... or
if we must use both, to always keep their versions in sync.


> Regards,

Thank you very much.


-- 
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz / asfast.com
 God bless you.