On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:52:11 +0900, Eric Hodel wrote:
> You should, however, check out the propaganda document if you haven't
> already, it gives a much better idea of our goals:
I had read it, but I missed that page at the end. Sorry for that.
But inlining a method, and converting a whole program to plain C (w.o.
the overhead from dynamic method dispatch etc.) are two different
things. For my defense: the latter is what you promote in the first 25
slides.

> You could write all of the code in Ruby's core, even the VM, in Ruby.
> Then you translate the absolute minimum to C you need automatically with
> Ruby2C (eventually, just the VM).
Ok, this sounds very ambitious. The ruby core is well written and it's
hard to write an equivalent substitution.
And the VM part: It think it is very hard to write a fast VM in C. A
Ruby2C translator which generates a fast VM sounds like a miracle.

Anyway, good luck - I'm sure it is a lot of fun.
At least you do not have to write in C[1] ;)

[1] http://gnu.de.uu.net/wic.html