On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Barry Sperling wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
>
>> I don't use Scite, so can't be sure how this interacts.
>> Presumably you get the same results outside of Scite?
>>
> Yes, when I used it on the command line as:
> e:\ruby\scite\ruby test_unit.rbw
>
> I got the same error.

         [...]
>>>  1) Failure:
>>> test_wrap(TC_StringWrapper) [Test_Unit.rbw:11]:
>>> The line should have been wrapped to 9 columns.
>>> <"This is a\nwrapped\nline."> expected but was
>>> <"">.
>>>
>>> 1 tests, 1 assertions, 1 failures, 0 errors

>> We'd really need to see your code to be able to reproduce this, and
>> to be sure that it doesn't differ significantly from the example.
>
> require 'test/unit'
> require 'string_wrapper'   #NOTE: I ALSO TRIED _.RB AND _.RBW HERE
>
> class TC_StringWrapper < Test::Unit::TestCase
>  def test_wrap
> 	wrapper = StringWrapper.new
> 	assert_equal("This is a\nwrapped\nline.",
>                  wrapper.wrap("This is a wrapped line.", 9),
>                  "The line should have been wrapped to 9 columns")
>  end
> end
>
> and string_wrapper.rbw ( also made a string_wrapper.rb just to be sure ):
>
> class StringWrapper
> 	def wrap( string, columns )
> 		string.scan(/(.{1,9}) (?: |$)/).join("\n")

Should be
  		string.scan(/(.{1,9})(?: |$)/).join("\n")
i.e no space between ) and ( because the regular expression will look
for that space.

> 	end
> end

And I think you get an empty string because
/.{1,9)  / and /.{1,9} $/ never match the input. There is no double
space, and there is no [space][end of line], / $/.

>> We could probably do with knowing what versions of Ruby and Test Unit
>> you are using.
>
> Ruby 1.8.2 and whatever Test Unit comes with it.

Thanks

>> All we can say now is that it is clear the assert statement is
>> getting an empty string, but from what I can's see.
>>
>>> Any thoughts, or other links, would be appreciated.
> Thanks for your link, and I'm currently looking at:
>
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/test/unit/rdoc/index.html
>
> The example there with:
         [...]
> 		assert(false, 'Assertion was false.')
         [...]
> works as stated.  But I need some more hand holding to get it to judge my own
> work.
> Thanks,
> 	Barry

         HTH