Hi Hugh,

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> I don't use Scite, so can't be sure how this interacts.
> Presumably you get the same results outside of Scite?

Yes, when I used it on the command line as:
e:\ruby\scite\ruby test_unit.rbw

I got the same error.

>> Loaded suite Test_Unit.rbw
>> Started
>> Finished in 0.05 seconds.
>>
>>  1) Failure:
>> test_wrap(TC_StringWrapper) [Test_Unit.rbw:11]:
>> The line should have been wrapped to 9 columns.
>> <"This is a\nwrapped\nline."> expected but was
>> <"">.
>>
>> 1 tests, 1 assertions, 1 failures, 0 errors
>>
>>> Exit code: 1
>>

> We'd really need to see your code to be able to reproduce this, and
> to be sure that it doesn't differ significantly from the example.

require 'test/unit'
require 'string_wrapper'   #NOTE: I ALSO TRIED _.RB AND _.RBW HERE

class TC_StringWrapper < Test::Unit::TestCase
   def test_wrap
	wrapper = StringWrapper.new
	assert_equal("This is a\nwrapped\nline.",
                   wrapper.wrap("This is a wrapped line.", 9),
                   "The line should have been wrapped to 9 columns")

and string_wrapper.rbw ( also made a string_wrapper.rb just to be sure ):

class StringWrapper
	def wrap( string, columns )
		string.scan(/(.{1,9}) (?: |$)/).join("\n")

> We could probably do with knowing what versions of Ruby and Test Unit
> you are using.

Ruby 1.8.2 and whatever Test Unit comes with it.

> All we can say now is that it is clear the assert statement is
> getting an empty string, but from what I can's see.
>
>> Any thoughts, or other links, would be appreciated.
Thanks for your link, and I'm currently looking at:

http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/test/unit/rdoc/index.html

The example there with:

require 'test/unit'
class TC_MYTest < Test::Unit::TestCase
	def test_fail
		assert(false, 'Assertion was false.')

works as stated.  But I need some more hand holding to get it to judge
my own work.
Thanks,
	Barry