"Guy N. Hurst" <gnhurst / hurstlinks.com> writes:

> maybe it wasn't pointed out, but in ruby, variables are
> already local by default.

OK i see, that is good!

Block variables ( the loop variables within |...|) should be lambda
bindings (lispy or schemy spoken). The same is true in smalltalk, where
this iterator syntax comes from and ruby is meant to be designed with
the principle of least surprise in mind, am i right?

So i was doubly surprised.

Btw. i really would love to use ruby instead of %$<>->@{$\perl} for my web
and database management scripts, the only thing that makes me nervous is
the possibility of introducing subtile bugs with block variables ....

I really like to use i,j,k,l,m,n for index variables (have learned
fortran as first language :-).

--
Fritz Heinrichmeyer mailto:fritz.heinrichmeyer / fernuni-hagen.de
FernUniversitaet Hagen, LG ES, 58084 Hagen (Germany)