Thanks for the offer of help, I'll keep it in mind. I mainly ran into
problems with the tests...

----8<----

baron@daedalus:~/tmp/link-4.1b-ruby/tests$ ruby tc_linkparser.rb
Loaded suite tc_linkparser
Started
   Opening ./4.0.dict
F   Opening ./4.0.dict
Finished in 0.010642 seconds.

  1) Failure:
test_basic(TestLinkParser) [tc_linkparser.rb:30]:
Exception raised:
Class: <StandardError>
Message: <"Could not find dictionary.">
---Backtrace---
tc_linkparser.rb:16:in `initialize'
tc_linkparser.rb:16:in `new'
tc_linkparser.rb:16:in `initialize'
tc_linkparser.rb:10:in `new'
tc_linkparser.rb:10:in `new'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:95:in `instance'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:84:in `instance'
tc_linkparser.rb:20:in `dict'
tc_linkparser.rb:31:in `test_basic'
tc_linkparser.rb:30:in `assert_nothing_raised'
tc_linkparser.rb:30:in `test_basic'
---------------

  2) Error:
test_link_each(TestLinkParser):
StandardError: Could not find dictionary.
    tc_linkparser.rb:16:in `initialize'
    tc_linkparser.rb:16:in `new'
    tc_linkparser.rb:16:in `initialize'
    tc_linkparser.rb:10:in `new'
    tc_linkparser.rb:10:in `new'
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:95:in `instance'
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/singleton.rb:84:in `instance'
    tc_linkparser.rb:20:in `dict'
    tc_linkparser.rb:65:in `test_link_each'

baron@daedalus:~/tmp/link-4.1b-ruby/tests$ ls
.   4.0.affix  4.0.constituent-knowledge  4.0.knowledge     tiny.dict
..  4.0.batch  4.0.dict                   tc_linkparser.rb  words
baron@daedalus:~/tmp/link-4.1b-ruby/tests$

----8<----

I have two guesses as to what the problem is:
 -  I copied liblink.a to the wrong directory(ies), or
 - 4.0.dict needs to be in the same directory as the library.
I haven't investigated further on it due to unrelated personal reasons, though.

The performance issues themselves are not with Lingua::LinkParser, but
with Link Grammar itself. When running it on the sentences in
http://notpublic.wrong.button.com/sent.txt . Those have been extracted
by a friend from a NYT article. Some time out, others just fail, and
on one Link Grammar just refuses to work because the sentence is
longer than 70 words! Fortunately for me, the first phase of my work
does not require _all_ sentences to be parsed - just enough to extract
a sufficient amount of VS/VO pairs (~40000).

Lastly: I've been in contact with Martin Chase, who worked on the
Linguistics and LinkParser ports
(http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=linkparser and
http://www.deveiate.org/code/linguistics-overview.html - a Ruby gem is
also available for the latter). I plan to use Linguistics because I
also need to make use of WordNet. So far LinkParser is unoptimized (to
the point that pruning (and probably memoization too) are a
necessity), and needs the words in the sentence to be tagged if used
with 4.0.dict . The plan I have so far is to use your Link Grammar
wrapper instead of LinkParser for the Linguistics module, since it is
considerably faster.
Cheers!
  -CWS