* James Britt <jamesUNDERBARb / neurogami.com> [0237 00:37]:

to OP: I feel your pain (netbsd didn't have 1.8 until very
recently), but the latest 1.8 really is a big change from 1.6.
It saves a lot of bother (for the developer and the users) to
have the extra libraries available.

And it's really not a lot of work to build from source, only takes
about 15 minutes. You can play with that while nagging your distro
maintainer to upgrade :)

> Question for the group: Is there a lib or something that one could
> install to boost a default 1.6 Ruby installation into behaving as if it
> were 1.8?  A shim of some sort, one that doesn't require you to be root?

There's ruby-shim :)

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/shim-ruby16_18/

--
'I should have been a plumber.'