Navindra Umanee wrote:

> Are there any nice or existing solutions for attaching to a running
> Ruby process and changing the code on the fly from the console?
>
> Like, say I want to update a variable or modify a method for a Ruby
> program that is already running.  I guess maybe the Ruby program would
> have to allocate a thread/socket for eval requests...  it would be
> nice if someone already solved this.

This would be possible by using a secondary thread that keeps spawning
up breakpoints. E.g.:

require 'breakpoint'
Thread.new do
   loop do
     begin
       breakpoint
     rescue Exception

After that you could use the breakpoint_client to get a live shell where
you could change and check basically everything.

If you want to execute the breakpoints in a different context you can
use  breakpoint(nil, TOPLEVEL_BINDING)  or  breakpoint(nil,
obj.send(:binding)).