RubyConf 2001 Update

So far 27 people have pre-registered.
Most everyone agreed to Tampa, FL and some
requested a 3-day conference.

 http://www.rubyconf.com/register.php

We have switched to the Holiday Inn Tampa - City Centre
and obtained group rates on the rooms for $89/night.
(plus taxes etc. may bring that to a total of $112/night)

 http://www.rubyconf.com/accommodations.php

The new location is one mile from the Tampa Convention
Center, which is where OOPSLA is being held Oct. 14-18.
There is a trolley two blocks away which will take
you around the city, including to the TCC.

The cost of the conference is still uncertain, but
it will be between $200-$300.

Meals and a conference T-shirt are included.
Expenses for matz for travel and 5 days of meals
and lodging for him are also included.

We have decided that a high-speed internet
connection during the day would not be worth the
added expense. ($2000/day)

We hope to defray conference costs further by selling
Ruby T-shirts and attracting some sponsors.
(This is different from the Conference T-shirt, which
will not be for sale).
Don't forget about the t-shirt design contest.

 http://www.rubyconf.com/tshirt.php

Since it is too short of notice to create a
legal entity for our community, I have agreed
to operate this conference as a part of my business
activity and to collect money and pay bills.
I can maintain separate records for everyone's
scrutiny. As soon as the legal entity is formed,
all remaining funds (if any) will be transferred.

And now, a word from Dave...

++++
So, what's your Ruby number? You mean you haven't heard about
the Ruby number? Guy's keeping track of when folks register.
The earlier you register, the lower your Ruby number.
Think of it: your very own two-digit Ruby number.
So, so much cooler than one of those three digit ones.

Matz, sunny Tampa, two days with your fellow Rubicians,
*and* a low Ruby number. What are you waiting for?
Register today!.

Many thanks.
++++

http://www.rubyconf.org/