Hi,

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:48:28 +0900, PA <petite.abeille / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2005, at 11:42, Peter Hickman wrote:
>
> > You will end up writing less code and it will do more.
>
> And then you will be rightly reward by sharing the fait of most
> software projects 8^)
>
> "Managing complexity"
> Most software projects fail to meet their goals.
> -- The Economist, Nov 25th 2004
> http://www.economist.com/business/PrinterFriendly.cfm?Story_ID=3423238

Remember that Ruby is more than a decade old. It has been used
successfully in the US, in Japan and in many other places. People have
created many frameworks on which we can depend if we wish to keep the
complexity lower. Ruby as a dynamic language provides means for rapid
development and prototyping, which can prove much sooner if an idea
works or not. If it works and the prototype is good enough, ship it.
:-)

If you are in an ethernal fight with the language then the goal seems
farther away, nothing that one year of development (like we hear from
time to time) does not fix. :-)

AOP; EJB; JDO vs O/R mapper vs JDBC; which framework to use? which
sub-framework to use?; standardize on an IDE? what one? IntelliJ,
Eclipse, NetBeans, JBuilder, etc.; JSP vs tag-libs vs Velocity vs JSF
etc.; Buy some "cheap" J2EE App Server? Use JBoss and pay for support?
Use JBoss and don't pay for support?; Write once and run anywhere, as
long as it's on the server?

Etc.

Yeah, complexity kills projects. :-)

Cheers,