"Jim Weirich" <jim / weirichhouse.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:9813.192.223.163.6.1106848530.squirrel / weirichhouse.org...
> We will be introducing Ruby to our XP Users group in Cincinnati next
week.
>  I thought it would be fun to create a list of "Ten Things Every Java
> Programmer Should Know About Ruby" to help the transition.  I've got a
> number of things in my head, but would love to hear ideas from the
mailing
> list.
>
> So go ahead and submit your ideas.  What things should a Java programmer
> be aware of when starting out in Ruby?

There are no interfaces - and you don't need them.

There are anonymous functions, called "blocks" or "lambdas".  Learn to use
them.

Use IRB.

"finally" is called "ensure".  Use blocks for transactional behavior like
File.open() does.

Cou can find help here:
  http://www.ruby-doc.org/
  http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/

Strings are mutable but can be frozen.

Don't worry if your Ruby program is half LOC of the same Java program.  As
soon as you get experienced this will drop to one fourth or less. :-)

"Serializing" is called "marshalling" in Ruby.

You can keep your habit of ending every statement with a semicolon - but
without them Ruby code looks much better.

Kind regards

    robert