On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Mark Probert wrote:

> Hi ..
>
> On Wednesday 26 January 2005 09:08, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
>> I seem to have run into my parsing problem again.  Whatever I'm
>> doing I usually end up having to parse non-simplistic input, and I'm
>> still not happy about the apparently available solutions to this.
>> So I'm wondering what other people do.
>>
> My personal solution to this is to use Coco/R, an LL(1) scanner/generator.
> You can find more information at:
>
>  http://www.scifac.ru.ac.za/coco

Thank you.  I'd seen this on RAA but not explored it...

> The primary advantage of this approach, IMHO, is that all of the grammar /
> scanning rules are in a single file (rather than the lex/yacc approach).
> This makes the grammar quite easy to read and extend, once you are familiar
> with the process.  Ryan Davies has a pure ruby version, and I have a ruby
> extension version.  Both seem to work well for little languages.

I'll probably stay with the pure ruby one, but I'll certainly look
at this.  I suspect that the 1 might be the problem for what I'm
trying to do. I can't remember how LL differs from LR now, but I'll
find that pretty easily.

         [...]
> Pat Terry has a book "Compilers and Compiler Generators" that covers LL(1)
> (and other) topics very well.  You can find it at:
>
>  http://www.scifac.ru.ac.za/compilers/

         Thank you.
         Hugh