On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 03:25:50 +0900, Eric Schwartz
<emschwar / pobox.com> wrote:
> Ghislain MARY <nospam / lunacymaze.org > writes:
>> The missing package was libdrb-ruby.
>
> A full list of required ruby packages for manually installing
> rubygems:
>
> ruby
> libruby
> libdrb-ruby
> libyaml-ruby
> libzlib-ruby
>
> I'm not positive about libruby, actually.
>
> Even if these should be included by default, about which point I
> am entirely agnostic, it seems to me that it's a bug in rubygems
> for not correctly reporting the error, so that the user can know
> which packages to install. Having to guess is very frustrating

Wrong. This is not -- and never will be -- a RubyGems bug. This is
-- and always will be -- a Debian bug. DRB, YAML, and Zlib are part
of the Ruby platform. If they're not there because of packaging
policies, then it isn't an application bug.

Additionally, RubyGems cannot and should not try to determine which
OS-specific packages may be missing -- it should be dependent upon
the Ruby platform, which includes a number of features that the ever
so wise Debian repackagers have decided aren't part of Ruby, even
though the language designer has decreed that they *are* part of
Ruby.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com