On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:35:23 +0900, Dave Thomas
<Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> wrote:

>> Then what's all that weird eval stuff in the widget demo about?
>
>Historical cruft, I suspect (my guess it's a fairly literal
>translation from the original Tk tests). I recoded the eval line as
>
> load File.join($demo_dir, tag[5..-1]) + ".rb"
>
>and it seems to work fine.

The join trick doesn't work on Windows (at least on my setup) because
the directory in $demo_dir seems to be "." which is way wrong. So I
had to fix that by calculating the file name with a bit more
directness.

The code I had was

 filenamestring = computeFileName
 content = IO.readlines(filenamestring)
 eval content.join

This looped.

When I replaced that with your code translated to:

 filenamestring = computeFileName
 load filenamestring

the demo began to work. I can't imagine why the two are not equivalent
... any ideas?

Anyway, it is working now. I did make the Tk patch that ts (decoux)
pointed me to. Was that necessary?

Well, I don't know why, but now it's working, so I can get back to
learning now to do things ...

Still wondering WHY it's working ...

Thanks!

Ronald E Jeffries