Csaba,

<quote>
I don't know what such "subtleties" like traits are. If you  gave me a
concise explanation, I'd appreciate that. And then we could think about
my implementation, can/should it be extended to have that feature?
</quote>

Well, I'm not an expert by any means but I do my best. A trait is
simply a specially designated slot that acts as a parent. I guess
that's key, everything is slot based. I think your proposal has merits
but extending modules does not quite coorespond to trait slots. The
obvious distinction being that one can change a slot on the fly, but
not so for module extensions.

<quote>
I don't think of the usual class-based structure as a temptation to
avoid. I do think of prototype-like techniques as a powerful tool which
can be utilized at the right time.
</quote>

I see your point, and I think prototype-like tools can be used (and are
used) in a class-based language. But IMHO you loose some of the reason
and foundationary advantage of prototype-based OOP --primarily that the
whole object hieracrhy and its use become radically simplified.

Even so, like I said, your approach does have merits, and is certainly
a good way to give prototype-based OOP some play in Ruby. If your are
interested I would enjoy developing a dedicated library together. We
can work on it over at suby-ruby (keep in mind I can't devote too muh
time on it at the moment, but I willl certainly be happy to help/get
started.)

T.