Could you rerun with /^\s+attr\s+\:/' since attr can be used for other
things too?

Nonetheless that's still pretty low and and I suspect that many
occurances are also only a matter of example --not even real use.  But
I realize it does get used occasionally. I'm simply wonder if it is
enough at this point to warrant continued support? Is there some
complelling reason to use it rather than the vastly more common attr_*
methods? I don't see any reason to do so. It's a nice short method name
and it would nice if it were actually more useful, rather then just an
obsure and rarely used anomally.

Anyway I am willing to change the name (any suggestions?) or at least
make it backward compatible (any reasons not to do that?)

BTW I wonder about how #attr works. Hal wrote in his book that #attr
creates the @var and the method(s) #var/#var=. How does it "create" the
instance var? Doesn't it actually just create the methods and the
instance var gets created via their use?

T.