* Curt Hibbs <curt / hibbs.com> [0144 04:44]:
> Ben Giddings wrote:
> >
> > I think, at the very least, the home page for a language should have
> > things like:
> > [X] An "about" page
> > [X] A download area
> > [ ] Installation guides / instructions
> > [ ] An introduction to the language / beginner's guide
> > [ ] C API / interfacing with other languages guide
> > [ ] API documentation
> > [ ] Standard library documentation
> > [X] Mailing lists
> > [ ] Bugs
> > [X] Announcements
> >
> > The [X] marks things that are hosted and clearly findable on the
> > ruby-lang.org site, the [ ] marks things that aren't.

> > Maybe all it would take is that the maintainers of the English language
> > site bring some of the existing things over to the official site.  Some
> > things should really be there, and wouldn't be too hard to move over,
> > like the core language API docs.  Other stuff might still need to be
> > written.  I don't know.  I just think that there isn't enough stuff on
> > ruby-lang.org to convince a wary newcomer that they have indeed found
> > the official Ruby homepage, and that it is a mature language, in active
> > development, with lots of users, and with lots of real-world uses.

> Yes, yes, yes... I couldn't agree more!
>
> But, this isn't going to happen without someone willing "champion the
> cause".

Seems to me everyone agrees the site needs a bit of work (fixing broken
links is a definite, theming is more of a bikeshed and I'm not going near
that), but the only way we can help is saying 'tsk, yeah, i know, bad isn't
it?' and nagging the website maintainers.

'Give us the tools and we will finish the job" :)

Is there a mechanism for people to submit new layouts/bugfixes/typo corrections
for ruby-lang.org? IMO rubygarden.org is a big plus for ruby because it has such
a fast turnaround for fixing errors.

But obviously you probably don't want your main site to be a wiki (especially not
considering how angry the j2ee crowd are since rails stole their mojo....)

Is the website code in CVS anywhere? that's how the bsds do it, you just
send a patch to get a typo changed. Does the ruby-doc list cover this kind of issue?

--
'You were doing well until everyone died'
		-- God