On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:35:50 +0900, Assaph Mehr <assaph / gmail.com> wrote:
> Not quite what you're looking for, but you can take a look at
> ObjectGraph (objectgraph.rubyforge.org) at how to dymanically evaluate
> classes and generate a png graph using GraphViz. You can set some
> graphviz options to make the output *look* a bit more UMLish, but it's
> not proper UML.
>
> I am not aware of any tool that reads ruby to generate UML (and would
> love to hear if there are!). You might have to follow the same process
> as ObjectGraph, but generating an XMI document to load into an existing
> tool.
>
> There is just one more question that need to be asked: are you sure
> that is what you need? I find that because of ruby compactness of code
> and duck-typing arguments you rarely use much of inheritance etc. As
> for activity diagrams, you can not normally get them from static code
> analysis so you'd have to do them by hand anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Assaph

I might be happy with objectgraph. I like UML, but hate UML tools. So,
I figure I could write Ruby and use a tool to visualize the code for
insight and creating documentation.

I'd also find it interesting to apply it to existing Ruby libraries to
get a sense of their structure.

Whether it is really useful, I won't know until I try :).

Thanks,
Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg