I have been a production Perl programmer for about 10 years, and am
looking into tinkering with Ruby, and had a few questions:

1. I noticed Ruby was not installed by default on Suse 9.2 (although a
package was available in Yast). Does anyone have any information on
what Linux distributions *do* install Ruby by default, and any progress
on that? Because of the nature of my work, its not too convenient for
me to go installing interpreters on every machine I need to work on.

2. How fast do Ruby releases move - say in comparison to Perl? I cant
tell if it moves very slowly or simply has a versioning scheme that
belies this.

3. Is anyone here running Ruby in a production environment, and for
what applications?

4. Any Perl programmers have any comments on their experiences working
with Ruby?

Thanks for any info!