On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Premshree Pillai wrote:

>>> You can find some standard benchmarks at http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/
>>
>> the requirements are that each language implement the sollution exactly the
>> same as some other language implementation that was already done.
>
> Umm, what makes you think the implementations are done differently for
> different languages? They use a standard algorithm -- for obvious
> reasons -- across all the languages.

Yes, normally when you are benchmarking and comparing language, you start with
a problem and what the end result of the solution should be. And then of course
the exact implementation in each language will be appropriate to that language.
For example, sorting in C often looks very different from sorting in Perl. THe
lowest common denominator will be C-ish. And Ruby's ranges are another example.
In these benchmarks, the format forces the Ruby code to look like C.
 	for i in 0 .. (rows - 1)
instead of
 	(0...rows).each { |i| ... }
I don't know in this case if there is a difference in performance. I a nuby.
BUt I know that in Perl, the Perl-ish constructs are the ones best optimized.
If you structure your code the same as a Java app, it will go sloooow. Even at
tasks like sorting, where the opposite is usually true in real life. You
wouldn't hand-code a quicksort, because the included one is lightning speed.

--
RubyPanther