Dave Thomas wrote:
> I think there's a simpler solution to the original problem: add the
> directory from which the main Ruby program was run to the search path
> if SAFE is 0. So, if I say
>
>    ruby ../../demo/fred.rb
>

> then '../../demo' will be prepended to $:
>
> As a result, if fred.rb does a 'require "barney"', the first place
> we'll look will be ../../demo/barney.rb,which is probably what the OP
> wanted.

Agreed! It's simple, but works. This solution would have helped me on more
than one occasion.

It would ease up the inconveniences of packaging and the path-issues in
general alot. It would provide less stress on which path to append to "-I"
and figuring out how to run ruby-program XXX on maschine YYY.

Regards,

Dennis