On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Premshree Pillai wrote:

>> 1. Can someone point me to benchmarks for ruby vs. other languages, perl
>>     in particular but others as well would be nice. I found a few using
>> google
>
> You can find some standard benchmarks at http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

the requirements are that each language implement the sollution exactly the
same as some other language implementation that was already done.

So don't use these benchmarks to compare the languages IMO. They are not really
even trying to do that, but rather to compare only certain implementations.

It is useful of course if you just want to compare an arbitrary implmentation,
instead of comparing solutions to problems.

But usually people are trying to solve a problem with a program.

For example, the matrix one... in Perl there is PDL for dealing with this. I
don't know about the general case, but when doing graphics using Gimp, it is
orders of magnitude faster than doing it by hand like this benchmark does. But
this site doesn't allow that.

--
RubyPanther