matz / zetabits.com (Yukihiro Matsumoto) writes:

> |Would it be possible to use some sort of jar style packaging - ie distribute
> |the folder hierarchy as one package - that way relative references should
> |work. Ruby would need to change to load libraries out of .jar files
>
> Intresting.  Let me add it to the ToDo list.

Before you do, let's discuss this a bit.

The implementation of JAR files is one of the many evils of
Java. Every time I get a new Java application, I have to add its JAR
file to my classpath. THis rapidly becomes unmanageable.

I think there's a simpler solution to the original problem: add the
directory from which the main Ruby program was run to the search path
if SAFE is 0. So, if I say

   ruby ../../demo/fred.rb

then '../../demo' will be prepended to $:

As a result, if fred.rb does a 'require "barney"', the first place
we'll look will be ../../demo/barney.rb,which is probably what the OP
wanted.

Regards

Dave