* Barry Sperling <barry / angleinc.com> [0105 17:05]:
> Thank you Brian and S&G,
> 	But I haven't gotten much further.  The "netstat - a" gave me a list
> 	of ports that were "Active Connections" and 80 was one of the ones that the
> server was listening on, though the only 2 that were established were
> 2472 and 2473.  For connections with port 80, on my computer or to
> others, the same error pops up:
>
>  Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port)
>  (Errno::EADDRINUSE)
> is normally permitted. - bind(2)	from Chat_Server.rbw:6:in `new'
> 	from Chat_Server.rbw:6
>
> As I said, I believe that I am trying to contact an Apache server within
> an Oracle installation and the Oracleora81HTTPSerever service has been
> started.
>
> This code is sufficient to generate the error:
>
> require 'socket'
>
> host, port = '127.0.0.1', 80
> server = TCPServer.new(host,port)

You're trying to *listen* on port 80 here. If something else is already
listening on that port (as you said earlier), the TCPServer.new() call
will fail. Which is what's happening.

Are you wanting to connect to port 80 as a client? You say

' I am trying to contact an Apache server'

so I assume you want to talk *to* port 80, not *on* port 80.

An analogy would be trying to call the operator by breaking into the
exchange and picking up their phone, rather than ringing them...

Try TCPSocket rather than TCPServer (or open-uri or Net::HTTP if you
just want to GET/POST to the webserver).

--
'Tempers are wearing thin. Let's hope some robot doesn't kill everybody.'
		-- Bender