On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:21:45 +0900, Luke Galea <lgalea / gmmsolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> curious if there is a nice ruby way to express an xpath like navigation of an
> object graph..
>
> ie:
>
> XPATH way:
> Countries/Provinces/Cities[ @name = "London" ]
>
> versus
>
> The only Ruby way I can think of:
> countries.collect{ |c| c.provinces.collect {|p| p.cities.select { |c2| c2#name
> == 'London' } } }
>
> Thanks in advance

I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago, and there was
nothing existing in the ruby world from the looks of it.

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/125206

Some external projects to look at mentioned:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/125284

A code idea:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/125291

JXpath in the Java world seems like it's for exactly this purpose.
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jxpath/

I haven't worked on the query aspect of my project lately, so I
haven't made up my mind how I'm going to approach it yet.

Regards,
Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg