Douglas Livingstone wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:28:58 +0900, James Britt
>>It is not easy to find the right balance, and people ought not be thrust
>>into "expert mode" right off the bat, but I suspect that many things
>>that may one thinks of as valuable to a newcomer will quickly strike
>>them as just more stuff taking up screen space as they soon get more
>>familiar with a site.
>

> I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you just being
> cynical? That's my impression, sorry if I'm mistaken.

Designing for the novice has the potential to create assorted artifacts
that, while useful the first few times someone attempts a task, are
soon no longer needed.

The instructions for joining the ruby-doc mailing list on the main page
of ruby-doc might be a good example.  Most people no longer need to be
hit in the face with the mailing list details, but they have to wade
past it each time.   It may have been useful for some people for some
period of time, but after 2 or 3 visits, you have to start thinking to
yourself, "Yeah, yeah, I know. This is how I join the list."

So, while the intention may have been good ("Make it easy for people to
learn about the RDP and join in."), the implementation gets in the way
after a while.

James