Ilmari Heikkinen wrote:

> On 20.1.2005, at 16:17, James Britt wrote:
>
>> Ideally (and this is a JavaScript/HTML DOM thing I expect)  I would
>> like to be able to associate comments with specific paragraphs.  So
>> that, for example, if there were an online Ruby manual, one could
>> click on a paragraph, get a pop-up thingy, and add a note or
>> correction for that paragraph.  And the HTML would be dynamically
>> modified when rendered to indicate were there were comments.
>>
>> James
>>

> Something like this?
>
> http://fhtr.org/kig/dev/selection_test4.html (click on paragraphs)

Yes, that's a good approximation of what I had in mind.

Some years back, when IE5 was cutting edge, I wrote some nice
JavaScript+ASP stuff to allow virtual post-it notes on a web page.

I believe that the DHTML capabilities of Firefox/Mozilla are now such
that writing a cross-browser version, even with just basic features,
would be quite do-abale.  Add in the "back by popular demand"
XmlHttpRequest object, and server persistence would be a snap.

James