why the lucky stiff wrote:
> This conversation is rubbing off.  I'm seeing things.  Here's a mockup:
> <http://redhanded.hobix.com/cult/rubyorgMockup.html>

As usual, why, you're amazing.  I think the design is great.  Some of
the important points:
* prominent search <- I think this is really important
* hot project(s) <- great idea, a new user wants to know that there's
something exciting going on, and long-time users might stumble upon the
hot thing this way
* news headlines without the body, limited to around 3 entries <- I
think the main Ruby page should probably have news, but that it
shouldn't overwhelm the page.  This isn't a blog and isn't a news site,
keeping most of the page pretty static helps newbies and vets alike
(again, think www.google.com)  The only thing I'd add here is a date for
the news.
* prominent download link, with current version <- great!  I think
having the version there is key, because you might not realize a new
version was released (or that your version is really old) unless you see
that

I think that you're right about the docs, that we need docs like PHP.  I
don't personally find Python's docs very useful.  I never know where to
look for anything there.  I think the other great docs are the Java API
docs.  I don't much like the framed interface, but I *love* how it's all
hyperlinked.  I look up Foo.unWhyify() and see a list of the various
versions of unWhyify(), I see the one that takes the args I want, click
on it, and get a detailed version, I see that one parameter is a
GargleSound but I don't know where to get one of those, so I click on it
and find out about GargleSounds, etc.

As for the Ruby in 5 minutes, I think that's a good idea, but given that
installing Ruby normally takes a few minutes, it might be good to have a
few different 5 minute sessions.  The first could take you from click to
your very first IRB "Hello World!".  The second could let you play with
iterators, the third with creating classes...  I'd be happy to try to
write one or two of those.

Oh, and btw.  I mean no disrespect for NaHi's design.  I think the
ruby-lang.org site is well designed, especially for Ruby veterans, I
just have my own idea of what the site could be fore newcomers.  It also
seems like the Ruby community is evolving even more quickly than the
language, so it's worth changing the site to try to keep up.

>>Of course, in this perfect world, I would be
>>4m tall and made out of titanium, able to shoot lasers from my eyes and
>>to bend humans to my whim with mind-control rays... so I wouldn't count
>>on my perfect world coming into being in the next few months... at least
>>not until the price of titanium drops a little.
>

> In my perfect world, you would be 4m tall and made out of titanium as
> well.  However, your laser glance would be disabled and you would have a
> ghettoblaster built into your chest and jacuzzis in your feet.  Walking
> party.
>
> Also, the cassettes for your ghettochesto would be able to transform
> into a gracefully jaguar, a sleek falcon and an ordinary J2EE-compliant
> IT director.

As long as they made that whoo-haa-haa-kaa-sheet sound that all the
transformers made when they transformed.  That sound was amazing.  Ooh,
and I want the plane ghettochesto cassette.  It could be used to fetch
snacks which (if you re-enabled my laser glance) I could heat up for all
the partygoers...

If you're making my perfect website, how far behind can the titanium
body be??

Ben