On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 03:14:28 +0900, Ben Giddings
<bg-rubytalk / infofiend.com> wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > In message "Re: Best ways to accelerate Ruby's popularity"
> >     on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:04:42 +0900, Ben Giddings <bg-rubytalk / infofiend.com> writes:
> >
> > |It may be that netidentity has nobody actually using the ruby.org
> > |domain, or at least so few that they might be willing to sell it.
> >
> > It's no harm to ask them.  I had tried for ruby.net before, but the
> > domain holder did not respond.  Maybe I was not too good at
> > negotiation.  Is someone willing to ask netidentity?
>
> Hi Matz,
>
> Thanks for spotting my email.  (I was afraid that by replying in a
> semi-abandoned thread it might get missed).

Perhaps I've skimmed too much or otherwise missed part of this thread,
but has it been established that the lack of ruby.[com|net|org] is a
real concern?

I suppose if someone just handed over any of these domains for free
that would be nice, but beyond that, how much time and money is this
worth?

Given how people become aware of URLs (links from a known site,
Google, on-line or printed articles, word of mouth, RSS, blogs, and so
on), is the actual domain name (remarkably) valuable?

Offhand, having ruby.org be the default Ruby site would be sort of
nice, but I'm extremely skeptical that it has anything to do with
language adoption.

James Britt
(trying out a gmail approach to ruby-talk)