On Monday 17 January 2005 04:26 pm, Zach Dennis wrote:
| trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
| > Let me painfully honest: I hate parsing, especially w/ regexp, and I
| > don't care if it's because I stupid and suck at it. It shouldn't have to
| > be this hair pulling! Anyway... Can some one please give the regular
| > expression to match the first square bracket's contents. In this case it
| > would be "Hello".
| >
| > s = <<-EOS
| > [Hello]
| > This [b]is[b.] a test.
| > [Hello.]
| > EOS
|
| The trick here is to make sure you are non-greedy.

Thanks. I _see_ now why mine wasn't working, though I don't _understand_ why
it wasn't working. I was using the / /x extension, because I generally like
to space the parts my regexps out to read easier, but for some reason that
causes the above to match [b] instead. Oh well, I just won't do that.

Thanks All for your responses!
T.