Ville Mattila wrote:
> Alexander Kellett <ruby-lists / lypanov.net> writes:
>

>>On Jan 16, 2005, at 6:17 AM, Erlend Oye wrote:
>>
>>>  I can always use the release builds but I should be able to do builds
>>>from the CVS and report the bugs and ask for help in Cygwin instead of
>>>the suggestions that I switch platforms....and no, you are not the
>>>first
>>>one suggesting this. This has been suggested on IRC
>>>(#ruby-lang/freenode) too.
>>
>>i've heard other bug reports with threading that
>>were solved when using a platform other than cygwin.
>>cygwin wasted a lot of my time in the past. i'm glad
>>to not be using it anymore. but... each to their own,
>>forgive my bitterness i just care about the s/w i use.
>

>  The cygwins signal handling is not most robust and ruby threading
>  implementation depends on working signals. However there is cygwin1
>  delopment snapshots that might cure Erlend's problem. Erlend could
>  you check the latest snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
>  Also I think you'll get better OS features (OLE and stuff like that)
>  if you use native ruby i.e.  one click installer or compile it
>  yourself (migw or msvc).
>
>  - Ville

I just tried the latest snapshot and it doesn't work. I get the segfault
anywhere from about 3rd to about 9th request thru the script (see
code pasted before). For those testing it on another platforms, no,
I haven't had this bug on Solaris or with mswin32 builds.

I don't have MSVC toolchain and MinGW looked very underpowered judging
from output of configure command, but then maybe that is a wrong impression.

<request>
I'd have no need to build this myself if nightlies or some frequent
snapshots were provided for platforms. All the cygwin/mingw builds
available are from even before the 1.8.2 release date. Is providing
nightlies (with 'test-all' target cases run) a possibility?
</request>

Thanks
Erlend