From: Tim Hunter <cyclists / nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: segfault in tk/variable.rb
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:16:30 +0900
> Hmmm...Why is the default for Ruby different from Tcl/Tk's default when I'm
> building them at the same time? I did not use --enable-pthread when
> building Ruby, so how did Tcl/Tk get --enable-threads?

Oh, I'm verry sorry. That is a bug of tcltklib/extconf.rb.
When disable-pthread, the logical value of WITH_TCL_ENABLE_THREAD macro
is inverted.
Unless "ruby -r tk -e 'p Tk::PLATFORM["threaded"]'" shows "1",
your tcl/tk which linked your ruby is NOT enable-threads.

> To be sure, I did a `make clean' and re-ran ./configure without the
> --enable-pthread option. When I ran `make' I did not get this message.
>
> Then I ran ./configure with --enable-pthread. When I ran `make' I _did_ get
> the message.

Probably, that is a warning message of inconsistency, isn't that?
When ruby=>pthread-enable and tcl/tk=>thread-disable,
output the warning message but succeed to compile.

Well, if there are no consistency problems,
I have to search the reason of your trouble.
tk/variable.rb.321 is
      _fromUTF8(INTERP._set_global_var(@id, _get_eval_string(val, true)))
I want to know which of _fromUTF8, _set_global_var and
_get_eval_string raises SEGV.
If you don't mind, could you check and report it?