Jim Weirich wrote:

>On Thursday 13 January 2005 05:11 pm, JonathanKohl wrote:
>

>>Watir just had a version 1.0 release last week, and plans are underway
>>to make it drive other web browsers than just Internet Explorer. To get
>>an idea of how Watir works, the first version of user guide is here:
>>http://wtr.rubyforge.org/watir_user_guide.html
>>Disclaimer: I'm a contributor to Watir.
>>

>I just stumbled across watir from a posting on Brian Maricks blog and am
>considering using it at work where having IE available isn't an issue.
>
>But I'm running Linux at home and a non-IE solution would be great.  Have you
>considered writing a ruby-based browser skeleton?  Just enough browser to
>request web pages and give information to your browser controller software.
>Actually rendering wouldn't be necessary (I think). It would be quite useful.

For a non-MS based solution, there is an OSS project by some
ThoughtWorks people called Selenium. It uses JavaScript to interact with
the browser, instead of COM. There is even a proof of concept Ruby
interface to it, although it's all in very early stages apparently.

Best regards,
Alexey Verkhovsky