Chad Fowler wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:13:57 +0900, Trevor <wenn0029 / tc.umn.edu> wrote:

>>install builder.rb /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems

>>/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in `require':
>>No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)
>>       from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:58:in `manage_gems'
>

> Hi Trevor!
>
> I can't imagine why this would happen.  From the looks of it, you've
> successfully copied builder.rb to the right place.  Would you mind
> hacking pre-install.rb and adding something to print out $:?
>
> Very weird stuff.

I think the rubygems installer should check for the existance of zlibc
and display a more meaningful error message.

Better yet, I think ruby should display an error message when zlibc is
not availbe during installation of ruby 1.8.2+...but allow us to
override by specifying an explicit option like ./configure
--without-zlibc.  This would prevent confusion with apps like rubygems.

Other than that, ruby and rubygems are the greatest thing since sliced
bread!