In message <vj45u0dnupl70ocm267ih4j0h5kt7dnpup / 4ax.com>, tony summerfelt
<snowzone5 / hotmail.com> writes
>when i mentioned that ruby might be easier to embed into a C program
>than python is, the response was  'BS'. keeping in mind that i've done
>both but the python person hadn't.

I've done both. They are about the same level of difficulty(*), I found
the Python experience slightly easier - but thats down to better docs on
the Python side.

That said the recent Python 2.4 release on Windows will cause many
people linking dynamically to the CRT a lot of trouble (you built your
app with Python 2.2 or 2.3 and linked to the Visual C++ 6 runtime - when
you run with Python 2.4 you pass in a FILE * to a Python function and it
blows up because Python 2.4 is using the Visual C++ 7.1 runtime - that
is a really nasty bug that is not at all obvious in its cause - and the
fix to work in all scenarios (where you can't control which CRT will be
used) is not trivial or for the average developer as it requires some
mucking about to determine which CRT has been used prior to obtaining
the FILE *).

(*) Neither is sufficiently harder than the other to warrant a "mine's
better than yours" argument over language features.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk