On Jan 10, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Even C++ Freaks like Bjn Stroustroup don't like brackets because
> they are too much overloaded, thats why the new cast operators use <>.

yup. lisp just ain't all that amazing really
and having {} instead of () isn't that great ;)
my mind parses ruby with interspersed {} and begin/end
*much* better than python / perl / c etc. they are
all too.. samey. :'s everywhere, $'s everywhere,
() / {}'s everywhere,

i'm still waiting for someone to come up with a
nicer syntax for || and some neat preprocessor/Filter
hacks to make ruby entirely non perl like for
all the perl haters out there :P

> I think the current balance between backets and begin/end in ruby is
> very good. In Pascal the problem was that you had if/begin/end and no
> implicit begin as part of the control statement. Ruby and all later
> Wirth
> languages (Modula/Oberon) learned from the wrong Pascal way.

*nod*

Alex