On Jan 10, 2005, at 1:56 PM, tony summerfelt wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:51:04 +0900, you wrote:
>
>> i happen to intensely hate python also for what its worth :)
>> reason: 3 wasted hours due to an indentation "bug"
>
> yeah, that can be a killer if you don't use a fixed width font.
>
> i found the only way to avoid that was to write python code with a dos
> or some console  editor (like the console version of vim, boxer, etc).

actually, i was using vim, but without a distinction in the highlighting
for tab / space. and i have 4 space tabs ;)

> if i had any complaint about ruby it would be  begin/end blocks. i
> thought we ( as programmers) were done with that when pascal fell by
> the wayside. i much prefer {curly brackets} to designate blocks of
> code...

i use {}s constantly. i find that the distinction of having
end sometimes and } sometimes (while, def, class, if) makes for
really readable code and makes it much easier to see whats a builtin
to the language, admittedly i gave in to loop {} lately, tho i think
i'll return to while true as i prefer that i think :)

Alex