Hi --

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> I have a few basic questions about the Codefest Grants.
>
> From the announcement:
>
> 	The application deadline is January 15, 2005. Decisions will be
> announced by March 1, 2005.
>
> Is this still expected to be true with the deadline extension?

Good question :-)  I imagine we'll give the judges a little extra time
since we've extended the deadline.

> Will this
> announcement be public and will it include any details about the expected
> libraries?

Yes, and yes.  We definitely want a bit of publicity for these
projects and efforts :-)

> Then, from the application:
>
> 	In the event that the codefest cannot proceed without advance
> delivery of some or all of
> 	the grant, separate application may be made by awardees to Ruby
> Central, Inc. for advance
> 	payment. If such advance payment is made, it will be on the condition
> that if, for any
> 	reason the anticipated expenses are not incurred, the funds advanced
> will be returned in
> 	their entirety to Ruby Central, Inc.
>
> Is covering airline tickets just cause for advance payment?  If so, what's
> the soonest an applicant could expect to have airfare available, if offered a
> grant?

An airline ticket would be a good candidate for advance payment, and
once agreed upon it could be done quickly.  Details would depend on
the exact circumstances and timeframe, etc.

> Again from the application:
>
> 	Grant recipients agree to make all software written under the
> auspices of the grant
> 	available under the same licensing terms as Ruby itself.
>
> Does that mean dual GPL/Ruby licensing or can a team choose one of the two?

(See Matz's answer.)

> Finally, one of my own:  Can library construction begin before announcements
> are made (publicly, I mean)?  For example, would it be okay to open a
> Rubyforge project?

I don't see why not.  The only thing is, if you've already written too
much of the library, the judges might not see merit in your
application for codefest support :-)  But registering a RubyForge
project would be OK.

Thanks for your interest --

David

--