rade wrote:
> def foo(object)
> return object.call(9, 7, 3)
> end
>
> couldn't the type system figure out that object must respond to the
> call
> command and thus eliminate an error like:
>
> foo(5)

i see no difficulty in using ruby's advanced tracing
facilities to improve documentation and via persistant
storage of such api metadata also adding an "early warning"
system. or rather, not so much early warnings, but more much
more obvious error messages as opposed to wierd 'ugh ur meant
to quack!' style messages ;)

unfortunately i don't have the time :(

> I guess I am also wondering about a lot of other things like why do
> you need
> multiple assignment in Ruby?  There doesn't seem to be any need for it
> since
> you can just modify an object by sending it a message eg x = x + 1 is
> the
> same as x.+(1). [snip]

multiple return values and multiple assignment just fit well together
imho :)
without it i'd almost certainly be forced to fork the interpreter :P

i'd be very interested in type inference for
another reason:
	intelligent code completion
with tooltips offering details on
method documentation and param/return value
typing expectations

greetings,
Alex