Trevor Andrade wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering whether it would be possible to have a type inference system
> in ruby.  My question was asked before
> <http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/95821>  by
> gabriele renzi but it never received much of a response.  This system might
> try to figure out whether you are writing code with some obvious errors.
> There has been a  <http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~lex/ti/ti.html> project on this
> for smalltalk.  For instance if you have a function like the following

<snip/>

I don't want to dismiss this question, but is there a reference or
archive page for the "static typing (quasi and otherwise)" permathread?

Also, some links that may be of interest:

"Adding Optional Static Typing to Python"

"Adding Optional Static Typing to Python -- Part II"

"DSL Design Considerations"
http://home.comcast.net/~bc19191/blog/050105.html

The last one is quite interesting in the way it makes you think about
language design, and how what feature and syntax you do or don't provide
effects usage and language evolution.

James