Quoteing jonathan.otto / gmail.com, on Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:41:30AM +0900:
> Yes, it definitely is 1.8.2 in /usr/local/bin. What does it mean to add
> it to the front of my path, just type that out every time I want to
> access the newer version of Ruby? Or do I edit some shell file? Where
> is that file? How can I open it?

Your path is the value of the PATH environment variable. It is a list of
directories to search for executable files. Use "env" to see your
environment.

You need to add something like:

  setenv PATH "/usr/local/bin:$PATH"

to either your ~/.cshrc or ~/.tcshrc file.

I would highly suggest buying a book about how to use the Unix
underpinnings of OS X. It will cover this, and also how to edit files.

The syntax above may not be exact, I use OS X, but not tcsh.

Cheers,
Sam