Jonas Wrote:

# Robert Feldt wrote:
# >
# > On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
# > > |        [1,2,3,4].zip([10,20,30])             # =>
[[1,10],[2,20],[3,30]]
# > > |        [1,2,3].tail                          # => [2,3]
# > > |        [1,2,3,4].init                        # => [1,2,3]
# > >
# > > Behavior of these functions are not really apparent.  I think we
need
# > > to discuss more about these.
# > >
# > They have been used in the functional programming community for
# > years with these names (which doesnt mean we have to adopt them...).
# > I'd say tail is a good name and a very useful method. 'init' is
# > probably too close to 'initialize' so not good name. IMHO, 'zip' is
# > a pretty good name (think about a zipper in your pants or jacket...)
# > but I'm not sure the functionality is useful enough to promote it
# > into the base lib.
[...]
# 'zip' sound more like a method used to compress files and strings.
# :-)

As someone already mentioned, Python also uses 'zip'.

Moreover, comp.lang.python had considerable discussions about this
(which I didn't have time to follow), but AFAIK, they made a pretty
good choice of name and operation.

Conrad Schneiker